Journalists detained before and after anti-nuclear rally Chernobyl Way

Two journalists of “Radio Racyja“, Henadz Barbarych and Aliaksandr Yarashevich, were detained after the Chernobyl Way rally, held on April 26.

The mass event commemorating the catastrophe at Chernobyl nuclear station takes place every year on April 26. This year the demosntration was allowed by the authorities and went quite peacefully. However, representatives of law enforcement agencies could not help interfering. The two journalists were detained after the demonstration ended, at around 10 pm. The journalists had their press cards on them. However, they were taken to the Soviet district police department; meantime, the duty police officer denied that any detainees had been brought there. At midnight the journalists’ colleagues saw them being taken to the detention center in Akrestsina street. The journalists are accused of diobedience to police’s demands (art. 23.4 of the Code of Administrative Violations), informed the duty officer in the detention center. However, the guard refused to take a parcel to the detainees this morning, saying all things can be transferred only after the trial, which is to take place only on Monday.

In another incident, two journalists of Nasha Niva were detained, but later set free. Aksana Rudovich and Iryna Arakhouskaya tried to take the picture of a detention of an anarchist Ihar Trukhanovich. After that they were followed and detained in a trolleybus. The journalists were taken to a blue mini-van by people who did not care to introduce themselves. They were taken to the same police department; the police looked through the recordings, checked the women’s IDs and set them free.

On April 26, independent journalists Aliaksandr Barazenka and Nasta Yaumen were also briefly detained in Astravets were they came to report about a trip of opposition activists to the building site of the nuclear station.

A group of opposition activists made a trip to Chernobyl zone and to Astravets  in order to draw attention to the problem of nuclear contamination after the Chernobyl disaster which happened in 1986, April 26. They were not allowed to enter the building site of Astravets, and journalists were detained at around 1pm. Their video cameras were checked, and all the video recorded in Astravets was deleted. After giving written explanations, the journalists were set free.

Share this article

Share to Google Plus
Share to LiveJournal
Share to MyWorld
Share to Odnoklassniki
Share to Yandex

Leave a reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Current ye@r *